Welcome

The issues of the teacher librarians and para-professionals in California School Libraries. Please share your concerns, feedback and questions.

Friday, August 6, 2021

Meet CSLA Southern Region Section 1 Representative Margaret Easbey

 


Meet Margaret

I've been interested in libraries all my life. I grew up amidst academia, practically living at the UCSB Library. As a kid I created spreadsheets to catalog different collections of things like my Grandpa's LIFE magazine collection from the WWII years. Once I landed a job in the library in college I was totally hooked to the whole idea of public service, collaborative learning, freedom of information, all of it. I decided pretty quickly that I would eventually go for an MLIS. Life happened then. I met my husband, had a couple of kids, knit a whole bunch of sweaters, socks, mittens, Christmas stockings, etc. 

I finally decided I was ready to start a Master's degree and that Summer of 2015 when I enrolled at San Jose State, I landed a job as Library Technician at McKinley Elementary School here in Santa Barbara. Until I had my own kids, I was scared of children and never even for a moment entertained the idea of working with them. Working at this school has changed me and changed the trajectory of my life. In delivering library services to my students, I have found a place where I can really make a difference in the lives of lots of people while doing what I love! 

I have attended only a couple of CSLA events since 2015, but I have grown to admire the organization and the community beyond words. I'm just thrilled to have the opportunity to serve on this board. I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and working together.

Vision for CSLA

For now, because I am so new to CSLA, my goal is to get acquainted with the board and with members in Section 1, and the Southern Region.

I think it's always a good idea to get involved in organizations like this. There is always more need for leadership than one might think. Selfishly, there's so much opportunity for learning and personal growth as well! 

Why did you Join CSLA

I think the support group aspect has been the most impactful for me. So many of us library staff in schools are solo and very isolated because of it. I found it so immensely helpful to hear that my experience was similar to others in similar roles. It gave me a lot of confidence to learn that I do a lot of things the same as others. On top of that the opportunities provided for professional development by CSLA have been exemplary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment